Monday, January 23, 2006

If I say I'm wearing pants, that makes it true.

Microsoft ads aim to erase 'huge' image
Software maker's campaign to cost $120 million

By REBECCA BARR
BLOOMBERG NEWS

Microsoft Corp., the world's biggest software maker, will spend $120 million a year on an advertising campaign to fight its image as "a huge American company."


full article here

referred to by digg.com.

***

Let's backpedal and read that again:

"an advertising campaign to fight its image as a 'a huge American company."

I am not any sort of anti-Microsoft zealot, really. There are reasons to not be fans, sure, but what I find more striking is this question: IS Microsoft a "huge American company"? On all counts of that description, I'd say...yes. It's...huge. It's American. And it's a company. And while I understand the motivation: to try to improve the company's image, it's a really hard case to make. And to suggest that Microsoft ISN'T a huge American company...I mean, that's almost sort of lying, isn't it?

As much as I'd like this to be the case, just because I say right now that I'm wearing pants, does not make it true.