Wednesday, October 11, 2006

"The Hipster PDA"


Introducing the Hipster PDA

Hipster PDA

Recently, I got sick of lugging my Palm V around, so I developed a vastly superior, greatly simplified device for capturing and sharing information. I call it “The Hipster PDA.”

Beauty & Simplicity

Hipster PDA - the parts you'll need

The Hipster PDA (Parietal Disgorgement Aid) is a fully extensible system for coordinating incoming and outgoing data for any aspect of your life and work. It scales brilliantly, degrades gracefully, supports optional categories and “beaming,” and is configurable to an unlimited number of options. Best of all, the Hipster PDA fits into your hip pocket and costs practically nothing to purchase and maintain.

Full article available here



Through a few plugs on the podcast "MacBreak" I stumbled onto Merlin Mann's blog "43 Folders." Aside having a fun and alliterative name, Merlin authors posts on productivity, how to simplify, get stuff done. But usually, it's not too heavy handed, and has a fair amount of wit involved. Like the "Hipster PDA" described and pictured above. As I metioned before, I'm moving towards a somewhat Luddite approach to productivity. And even though I've said on many occassions that I'd be quite glad to have a Treo or Blackberry, I am also slightly titillated by the idea of being able to get as much done without those devices. Or debunking the idea that spending tons of money will help you get organized.

It is also a characteristic of "hip" to be in on a secret that the rest of the dumb masses aren't in on. According, at least, to The History of Hip, by John Leland. Hipster or not though, nothing would feel better than holding a bound stack of index cards up to a Palm Treo and saying "I like my model better."

This will not be me; while I like the "written down" part, I'm not wholly sold on the index cards. I still like keeping lists where I can just flip open a pad and see what I'm up to, so it will be notepad for me until I find reason to do otherwise.