Saturday, November 25, 2006

Great Pandora Station




If you're not familiar with it already, check out pandora.com. You enter in the name of an artist or song you like, and then it will make a steady stream of recommendations and play them for you. So it's practically radio, except that it's all playing songs with similar qualities to the one you mention.

I've used Pandora as a novelty before. Sometimes it can be so good that, well, I just get a ton of songs that sound all sort of similar and I'm not a fan.

However, I did find what I'd think'd be my favorite "station." When it asks for song, enter "The Way We Get By" by the band "Spoon." The song itself is pretty great, but the ones that it recommends all tend to fit into a similar genre of classic rock-ish, or contemporary alternative, all sort of grooving, never too much, rarely too little.

The funny thing is, while it helps pandora.com's records if you vote "I like it!" or "This isn't what I wanted," even if the song doesn't sound much like "The Way We Get By," I let it play anyway. I may not be contributing to the community filter, but I tend to enjoy what's coming out, so I don't want pandora to cut it off if I say it doesn't sound close. So at least I'm satisfied.