Monday, March 26, 2007

Digitzed 3x5" with QWERTY input

In the course of reading David Allen's Getting Things Done, I filled it with tiny yellow post-its with notes and thoughts on the book. Since it's such a "tip" oriented text, processing those bits and pieces would certainly be useful later. After I finished the book, I plopped it and all its stickies into my newly purchased in-basket. Where it has, to this day, sat, waiting for me to do something (anything, really) with the notes I put into it.

When I finally started looking around the internet for a notecard application (I did not want to just type this into one big list, that wouldn't do it for me in terms of searchability and organization), I found a few duds, then ran into Supernotecard. It again proved a point that I find myself increasingly believing in: why take something that generally fits what you're looking for, when you can probably (via the interweb) find and get exactly what you're looking for?

In this case, I was looking for a note-taking software that would use notecards as its interface metaphor, but do so in a format that would allow me to export the data into a decently formatted text file. I wanted to be able to input and manipulate the notes within the program, but not be restricted to using just this software to do it in.

Supernotecard pretty much does the trick, and I'm curious as to what sort of uses I could have been able to put this to in school. Screenshot from their website:



So you can type stuff into individual notecards, it'll automatically save them when you move onto the next card, plus you can organize them by either stacking them into "decks" or tagging them with "categories." Cards can only go into single decks, but you can tag a single card with multiple categories. For me, the deck organization worked just fine-- I wanted the notes certainly, but had no need to label and sort them in extreme detail.

The best part was, exporting the data into rich text format (wordpad file) was able to retain some nice and decent formatting. By default, the text would format into a sort of hierarchical format, which, while not as easily manipulated as the notecards, still had a good presentational look to it, that would have cost me a decent chunk of time and anxiety had I tried to battle autoformatting in Word to the same effect.

Definitely download, at least to play and mess around with.