Thursday, January 27, 2011

Video Short: Snow on 30th Avenue

I have to admit, I'm almost tired of shooting pictures and videos of snow myself. However, I'd heard thunder outside during the storm and wanted to catch it on video. Unfortunately, when I got outside, there was none to be found, but I did some shooting anyway.



Camera: Canon S90
NLE: Final Cut Pro
Color: Apple Color

I'd shot my last video in the snow using a Canon HF200 HD camcorder. Looked pretty good, but what frustrated me was that I was still seeing noise in the darker parts of some shots even though it was daylight out. Since I was heading out to film this snowstorm at night, I grabbed my Canon S90 digital still camera instead. I figured that with its larger sensor, it would do better with noise, and as far as I can tell I think I was correct.

I did run into a problem with the S90 footage in that, even after transcoding to ProRes, the footage always required rendering in the Final Cut Pro sequence whenever filters are applied or changes to opacity for fade-ins/outs (this is even using a sequence with settings matching the S90's frame rate and resolution). The only point where this really became a problem was in color grading, so to make life easier, I just sent it over to Apple Color and did all the corrections there.

There's nothing of particular note in the color grading. Apple Color would seem overkill, but this was really just to be able to make and assess my corrections in realtime without rendering.

As with the last video, the purpose of these really short pieces is to improve my speed with editing and post-production. So this one took about 2.5 hours to edit and color. It's not a terribly polished piece of work, but hopefully another stepping stone for improvement.