Sunday, January 02, 2011

Some snowy photos

I spent Christmas and New Year's at my family's home near Philadelphia; during the week in between I was back in New York to work for a few days. Of course, the famed snowpocalypse/blizzard arrived on Sunday, December 26th. I took my video camera out into the yard of my parents' house during the blizzard itself, but haven't yet had a chance to edit that footage; so here are a few photos of the snow aftermath.

101227-030-Couple-Crossing-in-Snow-Drifts-on-30th-Avenue
Couple crossing 30th Avenue in the snow

This is my favorite photo from this batch. While I was editing these photos, I had originally put this into black and white. It made the two figures on the lower right look a bit more dramatic, but in the end I stuck with color because the red lights in the image seemed to lead my eye into the frame and add depth.

101227-015-Seventh-Avenue-Post-Blizzard
Seventh Avenue, Post-Blizzard

Rather than take the subway all the way from Penn Station to Astoria, I crossed above ground to the Herald Square N-train stop in order to grab some pictures along the way.

101227-017-Police-Car-Snowed-In
Police car buried in snow near Penn Station.

101227-020-New-York-City-Transit-Under-the-Snow
New York City Transit, under the snow

To NYCT's credit, I got home safe, sound and promptly on Monday night (though I have read stories of other travelers who did not fare as well).

101229-003-Spectators-watch-the-Time-Warner-Center-Holiday-Lights
Spectators watch the Time Warner Center Holiday Lights.

Pictures of people watching light shows are probably better than pictures of light shows.

101229-006-DJ-Reynolds-Pub-and-Restaurant
D.J. Reynolds, one of my very favorite bars in the city.

101227-007-Sunset-on-30th-Street-Station-Train-Platform
Sunset on 30th Street Station Train Platform

This is from the train station in Philadelphia. I had been on the far side of the platform away from the windows, noticed some nice sunset lighting catching on my bags, and snapped a picture. I then realized that it wouldn't be the most terrible thing in the world for me to reposition my bags to take a better picture, and got this one instead.