Thursday, February 24, 2011

Five Photos (V)

Five photos from around the city this past month:

Golden
Golden

I walk through Grand Central Terminal each day, and every now and then there will be a random moment in which the sunlight will just stream through the windows onto the terminal floor, or at some points onto the walls.

I've gone through this building every working day for four years, and this has yet to grow old on me.

Running under Melting Snow
Running under Melting Snow

This is at the intersection of 30th Avenue and 31st Street in Astoria, right along the N-Train's elevated track. Each time the snow melts, the water dripping off the subway tracks always catches my attention. Usually this is on weekends around mid-day, so the sun hits it well. In this case, it happened to line up with a jogger running by, and what I think are birds flying across the upper right hand corner of the frame.

Swerve
Swerve

I took this shot just a few moments before the one at the top of this post. The gentleman with the wide brimmed hat in the lower right hand corner of this frame is further along the walkway in the top picture.

So at least in terms of the walkway, it's the same subject, but based on the framing and the images' contents, for whatever reason this one seemed to me like it'd work best as a black and white with a slight cool tint to it, the one above seemed like it'd work better pushed warm a little.

Tofu and Stir Fried Vegetables
Tofu and Stir Fried Vegetables

I've rarely posted food pictures. So here's one. This was taken with a Canon 7D that was in my care on loan. So I found myself getting a little trigger happy trying to find shallow depth-of-field type shots. Should I ever get a bigger camera I'll need to remind myself not to go crazy with trying to get that look.

One thing that did drive me nuts with the 7D is that I really could not get used to the optical viewfinder. Maybe this makes me a sub par photographer, but as someone spoiled growing up with digital cameras, I couldn't get it past my brain that what I was seeing in the viewfinder was different from what I'd see as the final image. So I just shot the stills with Live View on. Unfortunately this makes the focus pretty slow, but better that than create tons of blurry frames (which was what was otherwise happening to me).

Optimus Rules the Desktop
Optimus Rules the Desktop

Just for sake of whimsy, here's a photo of Optimus Prime standing atop of a set of RAID'ed hard drives. This was also shot with the 7D.

Also, toward the back of the frame, you can see a half empty bottle of Crystal Head Vodka, made famous by Dan Akroyd (watch his YouTube pitch for the product here).

This vodka was pretty much an accessory for a costume that I wore two Halloweens ago.

--

More photos posted on flickr.