Thursday, February 10, 2011

Video Short: Grand Central Terminal Super Bowl Bash



This is a short video that I'd filmed and cut together for work at Grand Central Terminal. We held a Super Bowl Bash featuring food from Grand Central Terminal restaurants, games, a raffle, and an appearance by Sunny Anderson, host of the Food Network's 'Cooking for Real'.

Camera: Canon 7D
NLE: Final Cut Pro
Color: Final Cut Pro
Music: from Soundtrack Pro library

This was a fun event, and we wanted to try to capture some of the excitement of energy of it. I did find myself in the trap that I had heard about (yet not experienced first hand), of getting almost too wrapped up in switching from lens to lens. I had with me the Canon 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8, and 18-55mm 3.5 - 5.6. The 18-55 was helpful for the wide shots, but otherwise the image quality and color tended to bother me. I probably used the 85mm the most, in order to get closeups of food and faces without being too intrusive, and I did often find myself going back to the 50.

Next time I'll pick one to shoot nearly the whole thing with, and then go back for the rest if there's something I really need to change up for.

Went well, though I found myself very much wanting a shoulder-mount rig for this type of environment. Setting down the tripod sticks tends to push the crowd away, and some of the shots that I liked the most are ones in which the camera wasn't on the ground. Even bracing against my face could help with this, something I'd really like to try with a GH2 should I ever get one.

While it's in some ways a simple video (no dialogue, narration or interview), I'm otherwise very happy with the turnover time on this. I filmed on Thursday up until about 3:30, and the video was up on YouTube by Friday evening around 6:30 (without any burning the midnight oil on my part). Partly from reading DSLR News Shooter, I've gotten very interested in fast turnover, and though this is by no means at ENG speeds, I'm glad we were able to get it out the door quickly.