I took the Canon AE-1 Program out for a spin this past Saturday morning. It also happened to be snowing here in NYC, so it was quite a bit chilly, but made for some interesting material to shoot in any case. I picked up the developed slides and a CD with the scanned images on Tuesday evening, and was pretty happy how they turned out.
Admittedly- part happy, part relieved. Part of me expected to open up the files to find at least a handful with completely blown exposures, but thankfully, aside from one or two that had other issues anyway, they came out fine. Missed focus on a few of them, so that may just take practice, or more testing to make sure everything is aligned properly.
Here are a few of the ones that came out without issue:
On the High Line
Along 23rd Street
Herald Square area
From The High Line
I didn't love this picture all that much, but probably one of the best examples of how the color came out on this film. In terms of editing, for this one I think I just pulled in the highlights a bit and tried to darken the black levels. I imagine that on a brighter day, I might get a little less of that washed out 70's look.
Initially I was a little hesitant to do any post editing in Aperture, since shooting film was sort of an excuse to have something "straight out of the camera" that had a built-in distinctive look. However, after making a few adjustments on images, I figured it'd be easy enough to hold on to at least a bit of that analogue look, while also pushing and pulling a bit to get the image to my liking.
More experimenting and shooting to go. I'm 1/3 through another film roll, and looking forward to seeing how the next batch comes out.