Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Some film shots from Saturday

I took the Canon AE-1 Program out for a spin this past Saturday morning. It also happened to be snowing here in NYC, so it was quite a bit chilly, but made for some interesting material to shoot in any case. I picked up the developed slides and a CD with the scanned images on Tuesday evening, and was pretty happy how they turned out.

Admittedly- part happy, part relieved. Part of me expected to open up the files to find at least a handful with completely blown exposures, but thankfully, aside from one or two that had other issues anyway, they came out fine. Missed focus on a few of them, so that may just take practice, or more testing to make sure everything is aligned properly.

Here are a few of the ones that came out without issue:

Path
Path
January 21, 2012

On the High Line

Droop
Droop
January 21, 2012

Along 23rd Street

Street Crossing
Street Crossing
January 21, 2012

Herald Square area

Street Lamp
Street Lamp
January 21, 2012

From The High Line

Nails
Nails
January 21, 2012

I didn't love this picture all that much, but probably one of the best examples of how the color came out on this film. In terms of editing, for this one I think I just pulled in the highlights a bit and tried to darken the black levels. I imagine that on a brighter day, I might get a little less of that washed out 70's look.

Initially I was a little hesitant to do any post editing in Aperture, since shooting film was sort of an excuse to have something "straight out of the camera" that had a built-in distinctive look. However, after making a few adjustments on images, I figured it'd be easy enough to hold on to at least a bit of that analogue look, while also pushing and pulling a bit to get the image to my liking.

More experimenting and shooting to go. I'm 1/3 through another film roll, and looking forward to seeing how the next batch comes out.